A Civil member may challenge a Newsroom at any time, based on principles outlined in the Civil Constitution. The challenger must submit a statement with evidence to make their case, and deposit Civil tokens equal to the amount of the Newsroom's deposit (5,000 CVL). The Civil token deposit for the challenge is set aside for the duration of the challenge process, like an escrow account.
To submit a challenge statement, make sure you're logged into your Civil account and connect your wallet, and that you have at least 5,000 CVL in your wallet. Then:
- Go to the Newsroom's page on the Civil Registry
- Click “Request an Appeal” button located in the “ballot” panel on the right side of the page.
- Fill out the Challenge Statement form. The goal is help voters make informed decisions at the time of voting. So the more evidence you provide, the better.
- You must provide evidence to make your case. These may include quotes, links to images and documents. (Please note that we can not store your images/documents. We recommend using your chosen services like Dropbox or Google docs from which to link your evidence.)
- You must cite principles in the Civil Constitution that you believe the Newsroom has violated
- You must deposit CVL equal to the amount of Newsroom's deposit (currently 5,000 CVL) to this challenge
- Confirm your transactions with MetaMask, which will open in a separate window.
Please be aware that MetaMask transactions may take a few minutes depending on network traffic, and will include additional gas fees. Once the MetaMask transaction goes through, you should see a confirmation screen that the challenge was submitted, and the voting period begins.
- If you want to be notified of the status of your challenge, we recommend signing up for the Civil Registry Alert, in order to get email notifications every time an event occurs on the Civil Registry, including the conclusion of the challenge you initiated.
To learn more about buying tokens, please go to our Token Storefront section.