We believe it is critical to ensure that only people who aim to advance Civil’s mission should possess Civil tokens. Speculators have the ability to affect the price of Civil tokens, which decouples the value from the actual work being done by real participants in the network.
In order to mitigate this, we restrict members from transferring tokens under certain conditions.
What are the restrictions?
- Anybody can receive tokens. There are only restrictions on SENDING tokens, but never on RECEIVING.
- All token holders must complete the “Civil Tutorial” to use, send or sell their tokens. This ensures that you know how to safely use Civil tokens and that you will to use them for their intended purpose.
- After you complete the tutorial, you may send Civil tokens to newsrooms on the Registry. However, until your account is unlocked, so you cannot sell or transfer Civil tokens to anyone else.
- In order to unlock your tokens, you must transfer tokens into the voting contract on the Civil Registry, demonstrating your intent to be an active participant. More details on the unlocking process are provided below.
- After your tokens are unlocked, you are allowed to freely transfer or sell your Civil tokens.